Friday, February 18, 2011

Daily Journal: Empire of Japan

I am Samurai


        A woman walks out into the cold night air. Her hands are shaking from what just happened… I walk up slowly. The crunch of snow beneath my feet echoes in my ears as I slowly remove my katana from its scabbard. She notices me and looks as if shes about to scream, when one of my men grabs her tight and holds a hand over her mouth. He pulls her aside and I continue my slow advance towards the house. We have been tracking these raiders for many leagues, and now is our chance to strike. Our men have this hill surrounded, and my troupe of samurai are dispatching with the rest of the rebels in their camps. They are drunk and lazy after their conquest of the town below. The leader of these dogs is holed up in the governors house atop this hill. We enter the main hall and my men quickly dispatch of the two guards at the door. Our blades are sharp and slice through these heathens easily. I hear a scream pierce the silence from upstairs. I make my way quickly and quietly up the steps. The scene of the governors room is one of butchery and horror. He lies dead upon his bed, stabbed countless times. I turn my attention to the room of his daughter where the sounds of a scuffle and a woman's screams are emanating. I see the bandit leader standing above the governess. I thrust my blade deep into his back. His blood pours over my hand like the sake spilled in celebration at my wedding last spring. As he falls I see my wife lying down in a beautiful green field before me, as cherry blossoms dance lightly in the wind. The image quickly fades as the young governess before me shouts and recoils in fear. I reach my hand out, and she retreats further into the corner and curls herself into a ball. I sometimes forget what I am. I remove my demon's face and pull off my helmet and set them on the floor. I pull her up and carry her in my arms down the steps to her mother waiting with my men outside. She weeps and takes her daughter from me. She falls to the ground with her as they embrace, both of them with tears of joy, and sadness stream across their faces. The governor's wife bows her head and thanks me as I gather my men and we make our way down the hill. I long for a chance to return to my home and be with my family. My wife writes me that we have a son born this fall. I want to be their to see him grow up and teach him the ways of our people. I look back over my shoulder up the hill and see the figures still holding onto each other... As long as men such as this can be allowed to roam the land my work shall not be done. I replace my face and place my helm upon my head. I am Samurai.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers