Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Daily Journal: Paper Shredder

Shredded

I awake startled to ear splitting screams and the whir of a motor. I look around at the room I am laying in. For the past few weeks I've been stuck underneath a stack of other sheets. It wasn't all bad. Frank seemed like a nice guy. He was a spelling test that the masters son had done. There was a big A+ plastered on his forehead. I look over at the fridge. "There he is", I say to myself. "Hey Frank!", I holler, trying to get his attention. He doesn't seem to hear me. His eyes seem screwed shut, a tear falls from his cheek. I hear it again, a mechanical tearing sound and the screams of other sheets of paper. Oh no, It can't be. It doesn't exist, that's just a story that mother sheets tell their kids when they miss behave. I am lifted high into the air. My face is smashed down, hard onto a pane of glass. A blinding light flashes into my eyes. I am pulled yup, bleary eyed and placed in another stack on the masters desk. I look up at a big fluorescent screen and see myself pop up on it. The master drags the copy me to a filing cabinet and saves me away. He then picks up the small stack of papers I'm in and hoists us into the air. Everyone is screaming and asking whats going on. I look below me in horror. The maw of the mechanical beast is wide and open. I see the blades staring up at me greedily. I see shreds of paper in its teeth ready to tear into me with abandon. We are slowly lowered into the maw of the mechanical nightmare. I begin yelling and  writhing, trying to get free. My feet press into the machine. Nothing. I open my eyes and look about. I am standing on the teeth of the mechanical creature and nothing is happening. I look over at a blinking light to my right. The light is flashing next to the words "Shredder full". The master grumbles to himself and crumples us up and tosses us in a waste basket. I breath a heavy sigh of relief. Retirement in a compost heap is a much better end then shredded by a monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers